Brian Wilson Ross is an American open water swimmer from New York who completed a 3-man North Channel relay crossing and was a member of the first relay in history to complete a Relay Oceans Seven. Their Oceans Seven Relay crossing was piloted by Quinten Nelson, together with fellow Americans Chris Kraus and Rick Gaenzle on 7 August 2012 in a record-setting time of 10 hours 18 minutes from Ireland to Scotland in 13-16°C despite a high volume of jellyfish.
Kraus, Ross and Gaenzle consist of a renowned 3-man relay team based out of Connecticut in the United States. In addition to their successful relay across the North Channel (Ireland-Scotland), they also crossed the Strait of Gibraltar (Spain-Morocco), the English Channel (England-France), the Tsugaru Channel (Honshu-Hokkaido, Japan), the Molokai Channel (Molokai-Oahu), and the Catalina Channel (Catalina Island to the California mainland).
The trio are the first relay to complete the Oceans Seven (a Relay Oceans Seven). Their effort resulted in a nomination as the 2015 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year. Kraus, Ross and Gaenzel have also completed numerous other open water swims, both as relay and singles, including double crossings of Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay as soloists.
- 1963 to 1968. Bud Lyndon Swim team member, San Gabriel Valley, CA, USA.
- 1969 to 1971. YMCA Swim team member, San Marino South Pasadena, CA, USA.
- 1983 to 1985. Cal Tech Masters Swim team member, Pasadena, CA, USA
- 1986 to 1989. Recreational Swimmer, Pasadena Athletic Club, Redding, CA, USA
- 1987 to 1988. Participant in the annual Seal Beach Open Water 1-Mile Swim. Seal Beach, California USA.
- 1991 to 2006. Recreational Swimmer, Reebok Sports Club, New York, New York
- 2006 to present. Recreational Swimmer. Chelsea Piers Sports Center, New York, New York USA
- 2006 to 2008. Participant in the annual Greenwich One Mile Swim at Tod’s Point, Greenwich, Connecticut USA. Won age group in 2006
- 2006 to 2008. Participant in the annual Island Beach Two Mile Swim. Greenwich, Connecticut USA. 3rd in age group in 2007
- 2006 to 2008. Participant in the annual Madison Mile Swim. Madison, Connecticut, USA. Won age group in 2006
- 2006 to 2010. Participant in the annual Westport/Weston YMCA Compo Beach One Mile Swim. Westport, Connecticut USA. 3rd in age group in 2008; 2009; 2010
- 2006 to 2010. Participant in the annual Sharkfest and/or Alcatraz Challenge Swims. San Francisco, California USA. 3rd in 40 and over category 2007
- 2006. English Channel. Dover, England to Cape Gris-Nez, France. 5-man relay event. 11 hours 26 minutes
- 2010. Participant in the Fran Schnarr Memorial Open Water Swim Championships - 5k Division. Huntington Bay, New York USA. Won age group in 2010
- June 2011 - Madison Mile Swim. Madison, Connecticut USA
- June 2011 - Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim. San Francisco, California USA
- July 2011 - Compo Beach Mile Swim. Westport, Connecticut USA
- July 2011 - Greenwich Mile Swim. Greenwich, Connecticut USA
- July 2011 - Strait of Gibraltar – Relay – Single Crossing
- April 2012 - Alcatraz Waterworld Swim. San Francisco, California USA
- August 2012 - North Channel, Ireland – Relay – Single Crossing – 10:18 – Fastest relay crossing ever
- June 2013 - Alcatraz Sharkfest Swim. San Francisco, California USA
- June 2013 - Madison Mile Swim. Madison, Connecticut USA
- July 2013 - Compo Beach Mile Swim. Westport, Connecticut USA
- July 2013 - Greenwich Mile Swim. Greenwich, Connecticut USA
- September 2013 - Tsugaru Channel, Japan
- September 2013 - Molokai Channel, Molokai-Oahu
Tsugaru Channel Relay
- Trio Tackles North Channel Soon Upon Arrival
- Open Water Swimming
- Connecticut Mermen On Their Way To The Oceans Seven
- Tackling The Tsugaru
- Challenging The Oceans Seven In Asia
- Luci Can Help Across The Tsugaru Channel
- Oceans Seven Relay Style
- The Water Looks So Calm
- Connecticut Trio Makes It Five-for-Five
- Oceans Seven, Team-Style
- Tandem Times Two Triumphant
- 6 Down, 1 To Go For The First Oceans Seven Relay
- Over Halfway To An Historic Oceans Seven
- Gaenzle, Kraus, Ross Complete An Historic Oceans Seven
- Wexford Masters Club Is Nearly Halfway There
- Challenging Channel Crossings With Michael Twigg-Smith
- Michael Twigg-Smith On Molokai Channel Crossings