Global Alert Platform is an innovative, online tool created by the Ocean Recovery Alliance and administered by Doug Woodring that allows users to report, rate and map plastic pollution levels in their local rivers via mobile devices and web-based platforms. This platform and database helps broadens awareness, aggregate information flow, and spur solutions to reduce plastic debris outflows via the world's rivers. It received recognition by the 2017 Energy Globe awards.
Its goal is to leave a legacy of healthy oceans, rivers and engaged communities for future generations.
New York City
Global Alert addresses a number of issues:
1. Enable community participation for reporting and problem solving, thus shrinking the gap in awareness about floating trash for those living upriver and the ocean. This is accomplished via visual online maps, clear data comparisons, empowered community engagement and effective communication.
2. Highlight the need for consistent and active stewardship focusing on rivers as a source of debris outflow, and the responsibility that local communities and governments have towards keeping them clean.
3. Provide a global awareness and monitoring tool to allow broad audiences to gain knowledge of hotspots, or troubled areas, stimulating the potential for cleanup or capture of debris.
By visualizing the problems on a map, along with being able to learn about best practices for cleanup and prevention programs, community groups can develop better recycling programs and plastic management strategies, ultimately leading to less floating trash making its way to the ocean.
Global Alert Platform is easy for people and students to See, Share and Solve their floating trash problems. Users will be able to upload photos or videos of trash in their water systems or coastlines, and then give them a rating that's based on the volume of trash they see. Monitoring agencies and community groups will be able to add, review, visualize and analyze their own data as well as Global Alert data provided by the community, empowering them to make positive steps for improvements.
- Global Alert is an international tool to help tackle the problem of plastic waste in our environment, and is something that everyone can use within their own local conditions, in order to be part of the solution.
- The sum of all the parts will help to bring broad-based improvements on a global scale.
- Global Alert will shape the way that communities play an integral role in bettering their environments; inspiring cooperation, collaboration and solutions.
2016 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year nomination
The Global Alert Platform was nominated for the 2016 WOWSA Awards, a recognition of outstanding men, women, performances and offerings around the globe sponsored by the World Open Water Swimming Association in the category of World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year. Its nomination read,
"Doug Woodring found himself surrounded by discarded plastics and rubbish while diving in a remote marine protected area. He was struck by the need to improve the world's ocean for future generations. He created the NGO, Ocean Recovery Alliance, and recently launched the Global Alert Platform, an innovative, online tool that allows people to report, rate and map plastic pollution levels in their local watersheds or coastlines via their mobile devices and computers. For creating a platform and database to help broaden public awareness about the plastic crises anywhere in the world that negatively affects the health of our waters, for managing a global flow of information that can spur solutions to reduce plastic pollution in the ocean, rivers and lakes, for enabling people to report problems and generate data on trash-hotspots via an easy-to-use mobile monitoring tool and online maps, the Global Alert Platform is a worthy nominee for the 2016 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year."
- Doug Woodring Talks About Deplasticizing Open Water On WOWSA Live
- Global Alert
- Doug Woodring Honored By International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Ocean Recovery Alliance
- YakSwimmers Take To The Open Water In Hong Kong
- Ocean Recovery Alliance Makes A Big Impact In 2015
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Global Alert Offers Accumulation Of Data
- 2016 WOWSA Awards Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Woman of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year Nominees
- 2016 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
- Pick Me Up With The Global Alert Platform
- Global Alert App Track Ocean Trash Hotspots
- Pick Me Up Bags Really Do Pick Me Up
- Ideas To Make The Globe A Better Place To Live
- Doug Woodring Wins Prince’s Prize for Innovative Philanthropy