Michael Sheil is a 29-year-old open water swimmer from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Born 12 February 1988 in Brisbane, he learnt to swim at the age of three but didn't take up serious competitive swimming until the age of 12 where he joined his first senior squad under the guidance of Head Coach David Urquhart. Training with the likes of Ashley Callus and Alicia Coutts, he made numerous finals at the Queensland State Championships in middle distance Freestyle, racing his now training partner Trent Grimsey and competed in his first Australian Championship at the age of 14.
After many years of plateaued performance, Michael decided to quit swimming and focus on his senior schooling studies and later his Commercial Pilot License. But after two years out of the sport, he decided to return to the pool and start competing in Open Water Distance competitions. After a frustrating 2007/2008 year marred with Glandular Fever and injury, finally, in 2009 he competed in his first Australian Open Water Championships coming 15th in the Men's Open 5Km event. After another frustrating year of coaching and squad limitations, he moved to the Lawnton Swim Club after a disappointing 2010 Australian Championships to train under Harley Connolly with Trent Grimsey, Codie Grimsey and Natasha Harrison.
- He finished 15th in the 2018 Australian 10 km Open Water Championship at Brighton Beach on 26 January 2018.
- 2nd in the RCP Tiburon Mile in San Francisco Bay, California
- 5th in the Men’s Open 10Km at the 2012 Australian Open Water Championships Champion Lakes Regatta Centre, Perth (AUS)
- 10th in the Men’s Open 5Km at the 2012 Australian Open Water Championships in Champion Lakes Regatta Centre, Perth (AUS)
- Winner of Race #4 of the Body Science Great Australian Swim Series in Sydney Harbour (AUS)
- Overall Winner of the Body Science Great Australian Swim Series (Coolangatta, Hamilton Island, Redcliffe, Sydney Harbour AUS)
- Winner of the Escape from Alcatraz (USA)
- Member of the winning team - RCP Tiburon Milers Trans Tahoe Relay Team 2011 (USA)
- Winner of the Queensland 2.4Km Ocean Swim Series - Tangalooma Island, Coolangatta, Caloundra (AUS)
- Winner of the Hervey Bay Pier to Pub 3.8kM Ocean Classic (AUS)
- Winner of the Men's 10Km at the South Australian State Open Water Championships (AUS)
- Winner of the Sofitel Fiji Swims 19Km Fiji to Beachcomber Island Crossing in a record time that is still presently held (FIJ)
- Winner of the Sofitel Fiji Swims 2.7K Race (FIJ)
- Winner of the Kings of the Coast 3.8Km Ocean Classic (AUS)
- Winner of the Coffs Harbour 2Km, 600m and 200m treble (AUS)
- 2012 Open Water
- Michael Sheil Wins Race to Pub Hervey Bay
- Sheil Primed in Top Effort
- Legal Muscle Michael Sheil
- Brothers Grimsey Go 1-2-3, Nothing Like It
- Open Water Swimming
- Australians Head East Down Under
- Neoprened Rhys Mainstone Wins La Grande Swim
- Green Is To Go, Melissa Gorman Is Back
- Who Will Be King?
- Ashley Twichell Wins Photo Finish Over Keri-Anne Payne