Renato Ribeiro Barbosa
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- He served as one of the co-organizers, together with Adherbal de Oliveira, of the Leme to Pontal Swimming Association (LPSA), an open water swimming organization that governs the Travessia do Leme ao Pontal 36 km marathon swimming course between Leme Beach to Pontal in Brazil. The course is inspired by the Brazilian song Do Leme ao Pontal.
- He is the head coach of the Navegantes Team, located in Santa Catarina state in southern Brazil.
- He manages and coordinates marathon swims governed by the Big Island Swimming Association.
- He was part of the first 85 km circumnavigation swim around Ilha Grande in Brazil on 26-27 January 2019 in 24 hours 31 minutes Liana Lemos, Márcia Pinheiro, André Castelucio, Lucas França, Fabio Righetti, Ivan Nogueira Jr., André Teixeira, and Raphael Maia with coach Renato Ribeiro and crew members Roberta Righetti, pilot Filipe Almeida, Vilma Baptista, and planners Fabio Righetti, Filipe Almeida, sailor Luciano Guerra, and coach Renato Ribeiro.
2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominees
1. 48 Braçades by Miquel Suñer (Spain)
2. Blue Journey Dangerous Waves Project by Bruckner Chase (USA)
3. Global Swim Series by Rob Kent & Dylan Kent (Canada)
4. LongSwimsDB by Evan Morrison (USA)
5. New York Open Water by David Barra, Rondi Davies & Alex Arévalo (USA)
6. Open Water Swim Academy by Dan Simonelli (USA)
7. Outdoor Swimmer by Simon Griffiths (Great Britain)
8. Sea Donkey with Adrian Sarchet (Guernsey)
9. Shark Bait by Dr. Seán O’Connell (Bermuda)
10. Swim Argentina by Matías Ola (Argentina)
11. The Channel of Bones with Toni Enderli (South Africa)
12. Travessia do Leme ao Pontal by Adherbal de Oliveira & Renato Ribeiro Barbosa (Brazil)
2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nomination
The Travessia do Leme ao Pontal is a scenic 35 km coastal swim in Brazil that ends in Pontal and was inspired by a famous song in Brazil called Do Leme ao Pontal. The ocean challenge offers great natural beauty where the swimmer can admire from a privileged perspective the wonders of Rio de Janeiro including Sugar Loaf, Copacabana Beach, Christ the Redeemer, Cagarras Archipelago, Ipanema Beach, São Conrado Beach, Barra da Tijuca Beach and the Pontal Stone. Adherbal de Oliveira and Renato Ribeiro Barbosa created a governing body (Leme to Pontal Swimming Association) that enables solo and relay attempts for neoprene and bioprene swimmers along the gorgeous course. For creating a professional infrastructure complete with escort pilots, crew, guidance and record-keeping to support marathon swims and relays, for encouraging marathon swimming among people who are inspired to repeat the lyrics of a popular song, for offering opportunities throughout the year in temperatures that can range from 15°C to 26°C, the Travessia do Leme ao Pontal is a worthy nominee for the 2017 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
- Anjos D’água with Eric Nakumo, Wesley Dias, Marta Izo, Rodrigo Martins Complete Unprecedented Ilha Grande Circumnavigation Swim
- Monica Calderon Completes The Challenge in Ilha Grande
- Samir Barel Sets Record, Ana Carolina Morelli Shares Her Experience At Big Island Swim Challenge
- Ana Carolina Morelli Sets BISA Record
- Sylvio Fernando Salles Overcomes Obstacles
- Marcelo Galvão To Try The Challenge Again
- Thiago Toshio Rebollo Swims Travessia do Leme ao Pontal
- Making Tough Decisions In The North Channel
- Two Teams Circumnavigate Ilha Grande
- Adherbal de Oliveira Hit By Cookiecutter Shark In Molokai Channel
- Swim Leme to Pontal Swimming Association
- Leme To Pontal, a 36 km Coastal Challenge
- Weather and Water Conditions in Rio de Janeiro
- Do Leme ao Pontal, não há nada igual! por Guilherme Freitas
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Leme beach
- A Music Marathon, From Leme to Pontal
- Marathon Swimming