Aquatic Career Highlights
- He finished 3rd in the 1987 Liffey Swim in Dublin, Ireland in 20:20.
- He was the fastest man in the 1988 Liffey Swim in Dublin, Ireland in 17:06.
- He was the fastest man in the 1990 Liffey Swim in Dublin, Ireland in 18:26.
- he served as the trainer for Gary Fitzgerald on his swim from the 'Kish' in Dublin Bay to the Forty Foot in Dun Laoghaire in Ireland
- On 7 August 1999, he completed a crossing of the English Channel from England to France in 10 hours 23 minutes.
- On 15 August 2015, he completed the 27.3 km Rose Pitonof Swim in New York in 4 hours 34 minutes 10 seconds where he raised funds for LauraLynn, Ireland's Children's Hospice.
- On 15 August 2016, he won the 20 Bridges Manhattan Island Swim in New York City in 6 hours 52 minutes 50 seconds at the age of 48.
- On 21 August 2017, he completed a 32.3 km Catalina Channel from the Santa Catalina Island to the Southern California mainland in 9 hours 15 minutes 41 seconds in a charity swim for the Cystic Fibrosis Ireland.
- He is the namesake for the Shane Moraghan RIP Channel Medal and the Shane Moraghan Award given by the Irish Long Distance Swimming Association to celebrate his life and legacy.
- He was a member of the Half Moon Swimming & Waterpolo Club and Ireland national water polo team player.
15 August 2016 20 Bridges Race
1 Shane Moraghan 6:52:50 (Dublin, Ireland)
2 Serbo Simeoni 7:04:19 (Safety Harbor, Florida, USA)
3 Colum Lavelle 7:20:38 (Chicago Illinois, USA)
4 Patrick McNight 7:31:32 (Fairfax Virginia, USA)
5 Marty Filipowski 7:38:51 (Sydney, Australia)
6 Kristy McIntyre 7:40:27 (Sydney, Australia)
7 Jim Chiudioni 7:43:00 (Needham Massachusetts, USA)
8 Tracy Clark 7:55:11 (Norwich, England)
9 Marty Munson 8:00:45 (New York, New York, USA)
- Wes Nolan Describes His Open Water Journey On WOWSA Live
- Marathon Swimmers Federation bio
- Gary Fitzgerald Did Fish In Memory Of Arthur Dunne
- New York Open Water
- New York Open Water Facebook page
- Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
- FLASH! Swimming Around Manhattan Island Is On
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Shane Moraghan Goes 3 For 3 En Route To Triple Crown
- Swim For Cystic Fibrosis
- Swim Around Manhattan Is Saved From a Future as Murky as Its Waters
- The Legacy Of Ireland's Shane Moraghan