Simon Murie is the founder and visionary of SwimTrek, the world's leading open water swimming holiday company, and writes regular classic swims column for H2Open Magazine. He was nominated for the 2011 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year award. His company, SwimTrek, was nominated for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year award.
Murie keeps bringing the challenge and allure of the open water swimming world closer to its growing community. With the aim of introducing open water to experienced and inexperienced swimmers in a safe yet challenging environment, he organizes hundreds of weekend and week-long tours and training camps around the world. Thousands of people every year improve themselves as open water swimmers as a result including over 70 swimmers who have graduated from the SwimTrek training camps in Malta with a successful English Channel solo swim to their name.
Murie is a personable aquapreneur who organizes specialist and bespoke charity events like Cancer Research’s The Swim where celebrities and experienced open water swimmers lent their names and reputations to raise significant amounts of money for good causes.
2012 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nomination
SwimTrek was nominated for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year award. Its World Open Water Swimming Association nomination reads, SwimTrek is the leader in the lifestyle market of open water swimming vacations. Innovative, global and ever-growing, SwimTrek provides unique package tours that meet the needs of everyone from neophyte triathletes to hard-core English Channel aspirants. Staffed by personable, experienced guides, the SwimTrek tours range from short swims to distance swims everywhere from tropical oceans to temperate lakes. Safe, enjoyable and memorable, SwimTrek continues to refine its tours as the market develops more aquapreneurs offering more options. Its sense of community and its encouragement to those from every walk of life and ability in aqueous venues is what enables it to retain its leadership position. For its plethora of opportunities in wondrous bodies of water, for Simon Murie and his colleagues at SwimTrek who remain courteously hospitable and creative, SwimTrek is a worthy nominee for the 2012 WOWSA Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
Videos from SwimTreks
2014 World Open Water Swimming Series Events
1. aQuellé Midmar Mile in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa in February. Race director Wayne Riddin
2. Miami Mile in Miami, Florida, U.S.A. in April. Race director Jonathan Strauss
3. El Cruce in Cancún, Mexico in May. Race director Rafael Hernández
4. Jax Coco Shek O Challenge in Hong Kong in July. Race director Doug Woodring
5. Henley Mile in Henley-on-the-Thames, United Kingdom in July. Race director Tom Kean
6. Hellespont and Dardanelles Swim in Turkey in August. Race director Simon Murie
7. Aichi Crossing in Nagoya, Japan in August. Race director Yutaka Shinozaki
8. BCT Gdynia Marathon – Open Race in Gdynia, Poland in August. Race director Tomasz Pąchalski
9. Waikiki Roughwater Swim in Oahu, Hawaii in September. Race director Kaia Hedlund
10. Swim The Island in Italy in October. Race director Matteo Testa
11. The Five in Hong Kong in October. Race director Doug Woodring
12. King and Queen of the Sea in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in December. Race director Pedro Rego Monteiro
13. Stroke for Egypt in the Red Sea, Egypt in December. Race coordinator Mohamed Marouf
- Open Water Swimmer’s Podcast – Season 3 Coming Up
- Simon Murie On Open Water Wednesday
- 2012 World Open Water Swimming Offerings of the Year Nominations
- SwimTrek, Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nominee
- Two Duos Traverse Tagus
- SwimTrek To Celebrate A Decade Of Open Water Excellence
- Going Swimming On Holiday
- The King Holds Court In The Open Water
- Michelle Macy Goes The Distance For Women, Children
- Crawling, Competition And Crowds In Croatia
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming