Antonia Leonie Beck
Antonia Leonie Beck (born 27 May 1997) is a 26-year-old professional marathon swimmer from Germany who was inducted in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame as an Honor Swimmer in the Class of 2024.
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- On 27 August 2022, she finished 10th in the 10 km FINA Marathon Swim World Series in 2:03:58.56 in Canada at the age of 25.
- On 26 June 2022, she won gold in the 4x1500m mixed relay at the 2022 FINA World Championships with Oliver Klemet, Lea Boy, Florian Wellbrock in Lake Lupa, Hungary.
- On 29 June 2022, she won silver in the 10 km in 2:02:29.70 at the 19th FINA World Championships in Budapest, Hungary at the age of 25.
- On 27 June 2022, she finished 4th in the 5 km in 57:56.20 at the 19th FINA World Championships in Budapest, Hungary at the age of 25.
- On 28 May 2022, she finished 5th in the 10 km in 2:09:32.50 at the FINA Marathon Swim World Series race in Setúbal Bay, Portugal at the age of 25.
- On 13 May 2022, she won gold in the 10 km in 2:00:35.70 at the LEN Open Water Cup in Italy at the age of 24.
- On 24 March 2022, she finished 20th in the 10 km in 2:12:26.10 at the LEN Open Water Cup in Israel at the age of 24.
- She won the 2017 LEN Open Water Cup series.
- She competed on the 2016 FINA 10K World Cup professional marathon swimming circuit.
- She competed in the 5 km race at the 2016 FINA World Swimming Championships in Lake Balaton, Hungary.
- She finished 10th overall on the 2016 FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup professional marathon swimming circuit.
- She finished 2nd in the 2018 FINA/HOSA Marathon Swim World Series race in Doha, Qatar on 16 March 2018.
- On 16 September 2018, she finished 2nd in the FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup in Qiandao Lake, Chun'an, China in 2:06.24.4.
- On 17 July 2019, she finished 9th in the FINA World Championships 10 km race inGwangju, South Korea.
- On 13 October 2019, she finished 3rd in the 5 km ANOC World Beach Games in Katara Beach, Qatar.
- On 15 February 2020, she won the FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series race in Doha, Qatar in the Arabian Gulf in 1 hour 56 minutes 41 seconds at the age of 23.
- On 4 August 2021, she finished 5th in the Olympic 10K Marathon Swim at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games in Odaiba Marine Park in Tokyo Bay.
- On 15 December 2021, she won the FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series Grand Finale in Yas Bay, Abu Dhabi, UAE for her first major international professional marathon swimming event at the age of 24.
- On 15 December 2021, she won bronze in the mixed 4x1500m relay at the FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series in the UAE at the age of 24.
- She finished 5th in the 2021 FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series season rankings at the age of 24.
2020 WOWSA Awards
The FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series victory by Leonie Beck was nominated for the 2020 WOWSA Awards in the World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year category with the following nomination: Leonie Beck realized her dream, making it to the Tokyo Olympic Games in the 10 km marathon swim. Her hard work paid off as she finished in the Top 10 at the 2019 FINA World Championships. But punching her ticket to the Olympics would soon turn into an unexpected two-year wait when the COVID-19 pandemic delayed everything a year. But the delay appears to be working in the 23-year-old’s favor. In February, at the only FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series event in Doha, Qatar, Beck upset a whole slew of world champions, Olympic medalists and the crème de la crème at the highest echelon of competitive open water swimming. For winning in 1 hour 56 minutes by 0.2 seconds over Olympic champion Sharon van Rouwendaal and 2019 FINA Best Open Water Swimmer Ana Marcela Cunha, for surprising herself with a victory over 53 competitors including European champion Arianna Bridi, Olympic silver medalist Haley Anderson, and 2019 FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series champion Rachele Bruni, and for establishing herself as a dark horse Olympic 10K Marathon Swim medalist for Tokyo Olympic Games, Leonie Beck of Germany is a worthy nominee for the 2020 World Open Water Swimming Performance of the Year.
FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series Victory
2020 Olympic 10K Marathon Swim Qualifiers
1. Xin Xin (China) 1:54:47.20
2. Haley Anderson (USA) 1:54:48.10
3. Rachele Bruni (Italy) 1:54:49.90
4. Lara Grangeon (France) 1:54:50.00
5. Ana Marcela Cunha (Brazil) 1:54:50.50
6. Ashley Twichell (USA) 1:54:50.50
7. Kareena Lee (Australia) 1:54:50.50
8. Finnia Wunram (Germany) 1:54:50.70
9. Leonie Beck (Germany) 1:54:51.00
10. Sharon van Rouwendaal (Netherlands) 1:54:51.10
2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Results
1. Ana Marcela Cunha (Brazil, 29) 1:59:30.90
2. Sharon van Rouwendaal (Netherlands, 27) 1:59:31.70
3. Kareena Lee (Australia, 27) 1:59:32.50
4. Anna Olasz (Hungary, 27) 1:59:34.80
5. Leonie Beck (Germany, 24) 1:59:35.10
6. Haley Anderson (USA, 29) 1:59:36.90
7. Ashley Twichell (USA, 32) 1:59:37.90
8. Xin Xin (China, 24) 2:00:10.10
9. Lara Grangeon de Villele (France, 29) 2:00:57.0
10. Finnia Wunram (Germany, 25) 2:01:01.90
11. Samantha Arévalo (Ecuador, 26) 2:01:30.60
12. Cecilia Biagioli (Argentina, 36) 2:01:31.70
13. Yumi Kida (Japan, 36) 2:01:40.90
14. Rachele Bruni (Italy, 30) 2:02:10.20
15. Anastasiia Kirpichnikova (Russian Olympic Committee, 21) 2:03:17.50
16. Paula Ruiz Bravo (Spain, 22) 2:03:17.60
17. Angelica Andre (Portugal, 26) 2:04:40.70
18. Kate Farley Sanderson (Canada, 21) 2:04:59.10
19. Alice Dearing (Great Britain, 24) 2:05:03.20
20. Paola Perez (Venezuela, 30) 2:05:45.00
21. Michelle Weber (South Africa, 24) 2:06:56.50
22. Krystyna Panchishko (Ukraine, 23) 2:07:35.10
23. Li-Shan Chantal Liew (Singapore, 22) 2:08:17.90
24. Spela Perse (Slovenia, 25) 2:08:33.00
25. Souad Nefissa Cherouati (Algeria, 32) 2:17:21.60
2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Marathon Swim Coverage
- Ana Marcela Cunha Realizes Golden Olympic Dream
- Ana Marcela Cunha Realizes Golden Olympic Dream
- Tokyo 2020: Olympic Marathon Swim Predictions – Leonie Beck (Germany)
- Women’s Olympic 10K Marathon Swim Finalists For Tokyo
- Canada’s Kate Sanderson Is Heading To The Tokyo Olympic Games
- Spain's Paula Ruiz Bravo Is Heading To The Tokyo Olympic Games
- Hungary's Anna Olasz Is Heading To The Tokyo Olympic Games
- The International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame, Class of 2024
- Leonie Beck to be Inducted as an Honor Swimmer in the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Who Will Compete At The Women’s 2024 Paris Olympic 10K Marathon Swim?
- Upsets And Victories by Domenico Acerenza, Leonie Beck at LEN European Championships
- Takeaways from the 2022 FINA World Championships
- Germany Captures 6K Team Relay Title at World Championships
- Another World Championship Title for Ana Cunha
- Can Ana Marcela Cunha Make History at the LEN Open Water Cup?
- Oceane Cassignol, Ana Marcela Cunha Tie for 2021 FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series Title
- Leonie Beck Wins Women's FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series 2021 Grand Finale
- Alright, Alright, Alright. The Pros Are Ready To Go Ahead
- International Conference on Open Water Swimming and Racing Techniques in Tokyo
- 2020 WOWSA Awards – World Open Water Swimming Performance Of The Year Nominees
- From #stopolympics...To Bring It On!
- Tokyo 2020 Delayed…But Hopeful
- FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series 2019 Rankings
- If The 2020 Olympic Marathon Swim Were Held As Scheduled: The Women
- Open Water Swimming Lingo At The Olympics
- 1 Day Earlier, 1 Year Later, The Tokyo Olympics
- 2020 Tokyo Olympics Appears To Be Postponed
- Tokyo Olympics Faces Force Majeure, Postponement
- #stopolympics Picks Up The Pace
- Italy’s Nuoto Pushes #stopolympics
- Leonie Beck Wins FINA/CNSG Marathon Swim World Series In Doha
- Dutch Duo Dominate In Doha
- Ana Marcela Cunha Wins Tight Race In China
- FINA/HOSA Marathon Swim World Series On FINAtv
- Digging Deep In Doha
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- World Professional Marathon Swimming Federation
- Marathon Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Cozumel Will Be Prelude to Rio
- Arianna Bridi Wraps Up FINA World Cup Title In Hong Kong
- Arianna Bridi Wins FINA 10K Marathon Swimming World Cup
- Nothing Great Is Easy For Sharon Van Rouwendaal
- German Duo – Finnia Wunram & Leonie Beck – Qualify For 2020 Tokyo Olympics
- Kareena Lee: 2020 Olympian With A Special Swim
- Rachele Bruni Takes Next Big Step Towards Tokyo
- IM An Olympian: Lara Grangeon Styling Towards Tokyo
- Ana Marcela Cunha, From 2008 To 2020
- Xin Xin Pulls Off Major Upset, Wins 10K FINA World Championship
- Haley Anderson, America’s Three-peat Olympic Swimmer
- Ashley Twichell Realizes Her Olympic Dream
- FINA World Championships 10 km Men’s Start List – 2020 Tokyo Olympics Qualifier
- FINA World Championships 10 km Women’s Start List – 2020 Tokyo Olympics Qualifier
- Leonie Beck FINA bio