Castaic Lake is a beautiful state water reservoir located just north of Santa Clarita on the Interstate 5 Freeway where open water swimming can be done safely. Castaic Lake is an reservoir formed by Castaic Dam on Castaic Creek, in the Sierra Pelona Mountains of northwestern Los Angeles County, California, near the town of Castaic.
Along with providing fresh water to local communities, Castaic Lake has also remained dedicated to providing the public with a wonderful place to have fun. Visitors come to admire, relax and reflect upon the beauty, or pack in a day of fun and excitement.
It is site of the annual Castaic Lake Marathon Swim held during the first week of April, and of the 2013 USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Championships and 2013 Fran Crippen Mile as well as the annual H2OpenPlus Summer Sunset Series.
2013 USA Swimming Open Water National Championships
The Morning Show
Castaic Lake Junior Lifeguards
Castaic Lake has a Castaic Lake Junior Lifeguard program where hundreds of children between the ages of 9-17 are taught swimming and lifeguard skills.
The 320,000 acre·ft (390,000,000 m3) lake with a surface elevation of approximately 1,500 feet (460 m) above sea level is the terminus of the West Branch California Aqueduct, though some comes from the 154 square miles (400 km2) Castaic Creek watershed above the dam. The aqueduct water comes from Pyramid Lake through a pipeline and is used to power Castaic Power Plant, on the northern end of the lake.
In popular culture
Castaic Lake was one of the main filming locations for the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers series. Many of the action scenes were recorded here.
- Castaic Lake official website
- Castaic Lake Junior Lifeguards website
- Working The Dream At USA Swimming Open Water Championships
- Chip Carrigan Protects Athletes' Interests At All Times
- Castaic Lake Welcomes The Best America Has To Offer
- Women Getting Ready To Rumble In The Canyons
- USA Swimming National Open Water Swimming Men's 5K
- Dan O'Connor Radiating Heat
- Tapering For A Shot At The World Championships
- What's Next?
- Like Father Like Son In The Open Water World
- Midshipman Comes Home For USA National Championships
- Noah Takes To The Open Water
- The Moody Blues Before Race Time
- Alex Meyer Honors Fran Crippen
- USC Trojan Firepower Shows Up In Castaic Lake
- Hollywood Helps USA Swimming
- Yo Elvis Does A Great Job
- Alex Meyer Re-establishes American Dominance
- Mann Whatta Race, The Greatest Race In American History
- American Women Heading To Another 5K Battle
- USA Championships Too Close To Call For 23 Minutes
- Déjà Vu With A Twist In The USA Women's 5K Championships
- Becca Mann Keeps Getting Better And Better
- The Man Behind The Voice Of USA Swimming
- The Graduate Gives Lesson In The Open Water
- Castaic Lake to Host 2014 USA Swimming Open Water National Championships
- Friday The 13th, Bad News For Some Swimmers
- Join With America's Finest Open Water Swimmers
- There's A Mann Amongst The Women
- Situational Awareness In The Open Water Par Excellence
- Third Time Is A Charm
- It's Feeding Time
- Deciding On The 2024 Olympics: Seine Or Santa Monica?
- Long Beach Wins LA Olympic Marathon Swimming Bid
- Using The Eiffel Tower As An Olympic Landmark
- 1-2 USA Déjà Vu With Haley Anderson And Ashley Twichell
- Ashley Twichell Dominates USA National Championships
- It's David Heron's Lake In The 5K
- Jordan Wilimovsky Wins Easily While Jack Burnell Swims On
- USA Swimming To Test Toughness In Tempe