The Cold Half Extreme Marathon Swim is a 15 km marathon swimming race in Hong Kong Island in January or February by Open Water Asia. It is combined with the 1.5 km Cold Plunge.
The Cold Half (or the Cold Half & Cold Standard Extreme Marathon Swim) is modeled after Asia's most popular marathon swim, the Clean Half with the same course, except the water temperature is more to the liking of marathon swimmers, channel swimmers and adventurists of various types than the water temperatures during the Hong Kong summer. The expected water temperature is 15-18ºC (58-65ºF) with an expected air temperature that can range from 12.7-22ºC (55-72ºF). The swimmers will also encounter The Wall, a body surfing section in the middle of the course. It is one of Asia's Top 50 Open Water Swims and part of the Cold Standard.
It also includes the YakSwimmers who consists of 2 relay swimmers who rotate with each other for 30 minutes each using 1 kayak the entire way of the 15 km Cold Half marathon swim.
The Cold Half is part of the 2015-2016 World Open Water Swimming Series (WOWSS), a global series of open water swimming competitions.
The Cold Standard & Sub-3 Squared Club
The Cold Half & Cold Standard Extreme Marathon Swim combines the Cold Half with the Cold Standard to offer both a solo marathon swim with the Cold Half and a full marathon run in the Standard Chartered Marathon where endurance athletes try to join the Sub 3 Squared Marathon Club over one weekend.
The Cold Half is either a solo race or a 2-person relay. If performed as a relay, a support paddler is required. If performed as a relay, the swimmers can either rotate every 30 minutes or can swim half of the distance. A motorized escort or carbon neutral option is required.
Swimmers will start at Stanley Main Beach and finish at Middle Island Beach with a barbeque and warm-up dinner held at the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club in front of Hong Kong's only fireplace. The 2017 Cold Half goes along the Coastal Hug where swimmers cannot swim over 150 meters from shore during the 2017 race.
There are 2 categories: Naturally Ocean and Wetsuited and Buoyant.
Solo: $2,000 with a support paddler. Relays: $4,500 with a support motor boat.
Saturday, 23 February 2013 with a registration deadline of 16 February 2013.
For information and registration requests, contact Shu Pu at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information and registration requests for swimmers outside of Hong Kong and China, contact Doug Woodring at email@example.com.
The Cold Half
c/o Doug Woodring
6B Bonham Court
12 Bonham Road, Midlevels
The Sha Mei team of Ethan McGrath and Sam Thorley finished first overall in the 15 km Cold Half marathon swim in 2016.
Douglas Woodring is the founder of the Cold Half. He is also the Co-Founder and Managing Director of Ocean Recovery Alliance as well as organizes the Hong Kong / San Francisco Ocean Film Festival, the annual Clean Half Extreme Marathon Swim and Sheko Challenge open water swimming events in Hong Kong. The Clean Half Extreme Marathon Swim is one of the World's Top 100 Open Water Swims.
2012 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nomination
Woodring was nominated for the 2012 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year award. His World Open Water Swimming Association nomination reads,
Day in and day out, Doug Woodring works tirelessly to bring the world’s attention to the plasticity of the world’s oceans. His open water events are the greenest in the world with their carbon-neutral options and biodegradable products. His projects, run under his NGO, Ocean Recovery Alliance, include the Plastic Disclosure Project and Global Alert – Floating Trash, reach global political leaders and an increasing number of citizens in a number of countries. He is a man of the sea, but he deals with the growing menace of ocean plasticity by going upstream and offering practical solutions that can be reasonably implement by individuals, corporations and governments. For his unwavering focus on a global issue with specific solutions, for his tying together open water swimming with the environmental problems of contemporary times, Doug Woodring is a worthy nominee for the 2012 WOWSA Open Water Swimming Man of the Year.
- Cold Half Extreme Marathon Swim Is Next Week
- Cold Half, Cold Plunge Ready to Start
- Cold Half | Cold Plunge | ColdXtreme in Hong Kong Postponed...A Bit
- Cold Half Extreme Marathon Swim registration
- Mayank Vaid Goes Around Hong Kong for the Second Time, Much Faster
- Cold Half, Cold Plunge, ColdXtreme Draw Hardened Swimmers In Hong Kong
- 2021 Cold Half And Cold Plunge In Hong Kong
- Doug Woodring Talks About Deplasticizing Open Water On WOWSA Live
- 2020 Colf Half And Cold Plunge In Hong Kong
- Alex Fong Lik-sun Sets Record Around Hong Kong
- Doug Woodring Honored By International Marathon Swimming Hall Of Fame
- Open Water Swimming
- Swimming Around Hong Kong Island
- As Cold As You Can Go In Hong Kong
- Project Kaisei - Capturing the Plastic Vortex
- Clean Half Open Water Swim
- Open Water Swimming website
- Oceanic Big Five
- Sheko Challenge
- Bamboo Is Used At The Sheko Challenge
- Clean Half Turns 50
- Liz Schlicher Tops Women's Solos, Relays in The Clean Half
- Swimmers Are Perfect For This Role
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Doug Woodring, Ocean Environmentalist
- Dolphin Art From Shore To The Heavens
- The Cold Half, The Flip Side Of The Clean Half
- Swimming The Cold Half In A Warm Place
- It's Cold In Hong Kong
- Railroading Along The Wall, Rough Water At Its Best
- Cold Half To Become The Cold Standard
- The Two Going To The Five
- Trent Grimsey Headlines The Five In Hong Kong
- 4 To Attempt To Join Sub-3 Marathon Club
- What Does The Ocean Have To Say?
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees
- Cold Half Relay And Sub 3 Squared Options Offered
- Sub 3 Squared Club Remains Virgin Territory
- Alex Beaulne Wins Cold Half Amid Winds And Waves
- Ned Denison Is Wowing Locals In Cold Half
- No One Has Ever Done It…Yet
- Cold, Wet And Rough In Hong Kong
- Ned Denison Au Naturale In Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Takes Centre Stage For First New F1 Series
- Views Of Hong Kong: Businessmen vs. Swimmers
- YakSwimmers Take To The Open Water In Hong Kong
- Huge Day In Hong Kong
- Winners At The 15 km Cold Half Extreme Marathon Swim
- Open Water Asia
- Cold Half Marathon Swim
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- World Open Water Swimming Series
- Sub 3 Remains Elusive, Both On Land And In The Water
- Only For Swimmers With Confidence And Dare
- Cold Half Is The Wright Thing To Do
- The Cold Hard Facts Of Swimming Straight
- Wearing A Blue Suit To The Office
- Blue Skins Swimming, Sylvia
- The Fortunate 30 In Hong Kong's Cold Half
- Hungarian Headlines Hong Kong
- It's All Relative
- Cold Half Is Hot Topic In Hong Kong
- Stars Are Out In Hong Kong For The Cold Haslf
- Julie Newton, Ned Denison Set Course Records At Cold Half
- Swimming Successfully From Singapore
- Ned Denison Honored In Vermont
- The White Knight Honored In Vermont
- Julie Newton, Marco Murari Swim Fast Around The Cold Half
- One Cold Day In Hong Kong
- Last Chance For A Cold Plunge At The Cold Half
- Julie Newton Wins Overall Cold Half