Gerry Rodrigues is a professional pool swimming, open water swimming and triathlon coach in Santa Monica, California, U.S.A. who runs the Tower 26 swimming program in Pacific Palisades and Santa Monica. His nickname is Sultan of Swim.
Be Race Ready
Triathlon Swimming: Master Open-Water Swimming with the Tower 26 Method is a book by Gerry Rodrigues based on the Tower 26 method. Triathlon Swimming reveals the rewarding and rigorous Tower 26 program for mastering open-water swimming by Rodrigues and former pro triathlete Emma-Kate Lidbury. His Tower 26 swimming program trains athletes in both the pool and in rough open water conditions, making triathletes and swimmers skilled, confident, capable, and fast in any condition.
In Triathlon Swimming, Rodrigues and Lidbury break down open-water swimming technique and show how triathlon swimming requires different form. From kicking to sighting, Triathlon Swimming describes the best technique for swimming in open water. This guide shares the best gear for open-water swimming, shows how to create your own effective open-water swim workouts, and shares a plan for race prep and taper.
With humble means but a rich and loving upbringing, Rodrigues grew up on the Caribbean island of Trinidad where he began swimming at the age of seven.
At the age of 10, he listened to Mark Spitz's 7 gold medal performance at the 1972 Munich Olympics at 3 am via radio and dreamed he too would achieve Olympic success. Beginning in 1972, Gerry began training in open water up to four days a week, three months a year, in preparation for Trinidad’s annual 4 km open water race. Gerry won that race multiple times, together with another hundred or so other open water victories around the world.
Gerry was awarded an athletic scholarship to Pepperdine University, participated on numerous Trinidad national teams, traveled to numerous countries, won Masters national titles, a few world Masters titles while achieving national and world Masters records, a 28.5-mile swim around Manhattan Island.
He began coaching children and triathletes in the early 1980’s. He created one of the first triathlon clubs in Los Angeles, Team Malibu and also organized the Malibu Masters Swim Club. In 1990, the Sports Club LA contracted Gerry to start its first Masters club. In the 1990's, Gerry and his brother Brendan managed the Southern California Masters Aquatics (SCAQ). He later started the UCLA Masters swim program in 1995.
He has coached many adult athletes in achieving hundreds of top 10 national ranking, scores of national championship titles, many world champions with national and world records as well as mentored and coached a few younger athletes to Olympic gold medals and world championship titles.
Official beach workouts were started at Will Rogers Beach in 1990 and then moved to Manhattan Beach in 1992.
Rodrigues was honored as the U.S. Masters Swimming Co-coach of the Year in 1992 and was also named the Southern Pacific Masters Swimming Co-coach of the Year shared with Rick Goeden.
Rodrigues owned SWIM Magazine and published Swimming World Magazine and Swimming Technique Magazines. He also launched swiminfo.com in 1995 and developed and produced with Mike Collins the first open water swimming DVD.
Rodrigues maintains several core principles and values that have guided him throughout the years:
1. There are no shortcuts
2. There are no secrets
3. You have to show-up with a positive attitude
4. You must believe in yourself
5. You must have a goal
6. You must be patient
7. You must apply yourself diligently in mind, body and spirit.
A coach must be prepared and have a well laid-out plan. Training sessions need be specific and meaningful and must have an absolute and direct purpose with an end result in mind. A mechanism to measure or quantify return or improvement must be in place. The coach should allow the swimmers to learn from other coaches: no coach has a monopoly on technique, training or motivation.
Rodrigues believes that recreational swimming enthusiasts, Masters swimmers and triathletes can all be successful in an ambitious training environment – a structured atmosphere that accommodates both the serious competitor and the casual participant who just wants a workout. A less ambitious format only caters to the lowest common denominator. His motto is simple: You may not be training to be the best athlete in the world or even compete in an event, but you will end up being the best athlete you can be.
Race Ready Phases
2016 Global Swimming Summit
2018 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year Nomination
Tower 26 was nominated for the 2018 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year by the World Open Water Swimming Association:
Tower 26 is a lifeguard station in Santa Monica, California. Gerry Rodrigues combined this local gathering place for triathletes with his deep knowledge of open water swimming to create the TOWER 26 team and brand from Pacific Palisades in Southern California. Rodrigues, a masters world open water swimming champion, has fashioned a lifestyle and knowledge-base that has taken the triathlon world by storm. TOWER 26 also produced over 60 "Be Race Ready" podcasts that have been downloaded over 680,000 times. Rodrigues and co-host Jim Lubinski, cover all aspects of triathlon swimming, training and race preparation for triathletes who represent the largest demographic group in the open water swimming community. For sharing innumerable tips and approximately 40 hours of free advice via the "Be Race Ready" podcast - the world’s most popular triathlon swimming podcast, for shaping a simple lifeguard station into a globally-known brand, for tirelessly and passionately coaching over 1,000 swimmers and triathletes monthly, TOWER 26 by Gerry Rodrigues is a worthy nominee for the 2018 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
- Gerry Rodrigues, E.K. Lidbury Launch Triathlon Swimming
- Reading, Not Racing. A Library Of Open Water Swimming Books
- 26.com Tower 26 website
- The California Open Water Swimming Oasis
- Breathing For Triathletes In The Open Water
- Be Race Ready - Open Water Essentials By Gerry Rodrigues
- When, Why To Cancel An Open Water Swimming Workout?
- Fear Can Be Overcome With Frequency To Build Familiarity
- Sultan Of Swim Discusses Open Water Essentials
- What Can We Learn From Olympic Swimmers?
- Myriad Details Of Ocean Swimming Workouts
- Technical Tips With Tower 26
- Triathlete Airplanes Gliders, Helicopters In The Open Water
- Julieanne Feels Goode, Gives Thanks Across Catalina
- Art Of Tapering, The Final Frontier Before The Big Race
- 3F: Move From Fear To Familiarity Through Frequency
- Free Global Swimming Summit Begins October 25th
- Fill 3 Buckets for Better Swimming By Gerry Rodrigues
- Gerry Rodrigues Towers Over Open Water Coaching
- Helping Triathletes Improve Their Swim
- Darren Turned It On In Ocean Swimming
- Gerry Rodrigues of Tower 26 On Open Water Swimming
- Sink, Save Or Swim: What To Do In A Shipwreck?
- Testimonials from Athletes on Gerry Rodrigues
- U.S. Masters Swimming Coach of the Year
- Open Water Is Not An Old Mission At Mission Viejo
- Swimming, the Most Complete Enjoyment, Professionally
- Swimming Fast And Slow With Stops Between
- The Open Water Grave By Gerry Rodrigues
- Do You See In The Open Water Or Do You Observe?
- Amateur Swimming Association Trinidad & Tobago
- Marsden Creates Open Water History
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Measuring And Maximizing Dolphining In The Open Water
- Open Water Swimming - Keys To Success
- Bob Bowman Loves Deck-ups And Ins And Outs Too
- When Getting Out Is Not Easy
- America's Very Difficult Open Water Swims
- 10 Difficult Short Open Water Swims
- What Are Swimmers Known As?
- Competitive Awareness In The Open Water
- The Innate Feel Of Open Water Swimming Veterans
- Coach's Coach In Southern California
- Pool And Open Water Swimming Psych Sheets
- Top 10 Competitive Open Water Races In America
- Sink Or Swim. What Can You Do In A Shipwreck?
- Be Race Ready Podcast
- TOWER 26 Be Race Ready Podcast Goes Live
- Be Race Ready - Framing Cycles And Swim Workout Design
- Be Race Ready Podcast On Tautness, Alignment, Propulsion
- Guardians Of The Sea, From Tower 26 And Beyond
- Tower 26
- The Open Water Grave By Gerry Rodrigues
- Alignment And Structural Presence In The Open Water
- Tri To Improve In The Pool And Open Water
- Tower 26's Gerry Rodrigues On Gripping And Ripping
- DPS And EVF In OWS
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung
- World Marathon Swimming Association