Guy Cohen, born in 1965, is an Israeli open water swimmer from Shefayim who is coached by Ori Sela. A former fighter pilot in the Israeli Air Force is now an industrial company CEO who helps raise funds for Sudden Cardiac Death research as an ambassador for the Rambam Medical Center in Haifa.
Open Water Swimming Career
- On 3 June 2016 he completed a 24 hour 13 minute solo charity swim as a memorial swim to his daughter, called Swim From The Heart. He covered a distance of 70.2 km along the coast from south to north, ending his swim at Dado beach in Haifa, Israel, joining the 24-Hour Club.
- He is holding the Israeli national record for longest solo swim in the open water.
- He is a member of the 24-hour Club.
- On 29 June 2017, he completed his second 21 km south-to-north Kinneret Crossing across the Sea of Galilee in 6 hours 15 minutes in a tandem swim with Avishag Turek.
- On 23 July 2017, he finished 9th in the 45.9 km 20 Bridges Manhattan Island Swim in New York City in 7 hours 45 minutes 5 seconds at the age of 52, raising money for Sudden Cardiac Death.
- On 2 September 2018, he successfully completed a solo crossing of the English Channel from England to France in 15 hours 44 minutes at the age of 53. He is a member of the Half Century Club of the English Channel.
- On 22 March 2019, he completed his 4th length crossing of the Sea of Galilee, 21 km in the south-to-north direction in 6 hours 40 minutes in a tandem swim with Eyal Schachner.
- On 19 July 2019, at the age of 54 Cohen successfully completed the Catalina Channel crossing in a tandem swim with Eyal Schachner in 12 hours 32 minutes. They both became the first Israeli men to swim across the Catalina Channel.
- His Catalina swim completed his third leg of the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming for which he became the first Israeli man and second Israeli swimmer to complete the Triple Crown.
- On 15 November 2019, he served as the observer on a tandem swim by John Zemaitis and Joe Zemaitis, a two-way crossing of the Sea of Galilee swimming in the south-north-south direction in 14 hours 52 minutes, the fastest two-way crossing in history on the first south-north-south two-way course completed in history.
- In January 2020, he and Eyal Schachner launched the Galilee Sea Marathon Swimming Association to organize, escort, ratify and govern marathon swims in the Sea of Galilee.
The Galilee Marathon Swimming Association by Guy Cohen and Eyal Schachner of Israel was nominated for the 2020 WOWSA Awards in the World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year category with the following nomination: The Galilee Marathon Swimming Association was on a roll. Co-founders Guy Cohen and Eyal Schachner researched and compiled several decades of historical data about widthwise and lengthwise crossings of the Sea of Galilee since 1944. They planned, prepared and promoted the longest and most difficult solo swimming course in Israel in order to meet a growing domestic and international interest. But then the COVID-19 pandemic hit and everything came grinding to a hall. But the Association got busy again after lockdowns and travel restrictions were lifted and were able to safely organize and officially ratify the marathon swims and relays for 34 swimmers. For their energy, wisdom, seriousness that Guy Cohen and Eyal Schachner bring to the sport of marathon swimming, for their meticulous planning and organization of swims in a safe manner during a pandemic in the Sea of Galilee and the Mediterranean Sea, for their data-filled website and authoritative resources that they make available to the international community, the Galilee Marathon Swimming Association is a worthy nominee for the 2020 World Open Water Swimming Offering of the Year.
- Another Bit of Old News by Pat Gallant-Charette
- Building A Legacy In The Open Water
- 2020 WOWSA Awards – World Open Water Swimming Offering Of The Year Nominees
- Swimming In The Sea Of Galilee
- Ori Sela And Guy Cohen Talk About Swimming In Israel On WOWSA Live
- Avishag Turek Scores A 10 Across The Sea of Galilee
- Without Great Solitude, No Serious Work Is Possible
- Galilee Marathon Swimming Association Launched
- That Is How I Will Be Strong
- Mary Margaret Revell's Romance With The Water
- Sea Of Galilee Crossings
- Joe Zemaitis, John Zemaitis Double Down Across The Sea of Galilee
- Open Water Swimming
- Hadar Aviram Across The Sea Of Galilee
- Story about the Sea of Galilee lengthwise crossing on Shvoong magazine
- Bill Welzien To Go Double Duty
- The Legacy Of Yitzhak Yehezkel
- History Unfolds Across The Sea of Galilee On October 28th 1944
- 35 Crossed the Sea of Galilee
- New records in swimming across the Sea of Galilee
- Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
- Guy Cohen Completes 24-hour Swim From The Heart
- Guy Cohen 24 hours non- stop open water swim from the heart challenge
- Guy Cohen an Israeli hero on youtube
- Swelling, Swimming Swole
- Open Water Swimming Word of the Day: Third Spacing
- Eat Well And Blame It On Third Spacing
- Leaning Towards Being Waterlogged
- Before And After In The Catalina Channel
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Avishag Turek, Guy Cohen Cross The Sea of Galilee
- 24-hour Club…Swimming All Day And Night
- Swimming For More Than 24 Hours
- Cohen Is Quite The Guy Across The English Channel
- [New York Open Water - 20 Bridges