noun - Ironman triathlon is (1) a long-distance endurance contest comprising three consecutive events, usually open water swimming, cycling and distance running, or (2) a multi-disciplinary surf lifesaving event.
The sport of Ironman triathlon is one of a series of long-distance triathlon races organized by the World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) consisting of a 2.4-mile (3.86 km) swim, a 112-mile (180.25 km) bike and a marathon 42.195-kilometer (26.219 mi) run, raced in that order. Most Ironman triathlons have a time limit of 17 hours to complete the race, where the Ironman race starts at 7:00 AM, the mandatory swim cut off for the 2.4-mile (3.9 km) open water swim is 2 hours 20 minutes, the bike cut off time is 5:30 PM, and all finishers must complete their marathon by midnight.
The name Ironman Triathlon refers to both the original Ironman triathlon and the annual Ironman World Championship. Also called Ironman Hawaii, the world championships of the event, held annually in Hawaii since 1978 (with an additional race in 1982), are now preceded by a series of qualifying events. Ironman Triathlon became known for its grueling length, harsh race conditions, and television coverage.
Ironman (surf lifesaving) was developed in 1964 in Australia by Valentine Trainor and combines the four main disciplines of surf lifesaving into a single race: ocean swimming, board paddling, ski paddling and running.
- Alfie Capito Made People Smile All The Time
- Breaking Distance In The Ice
- The Newest Iron Icewomen - Hanna Bakuniak
- Theo van der Meer Recognized As An Iron Ice Man
- Pádraig Mallon, Man In The Middle Of Much
- 2013 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year Nominees
- Pádraig Mallon Is 2013 World Open Water Swimming Man of the Year
- 100 New Year's Resolutions For Open Water Swimmers
- Pádraig Mallon To Be Honored In Mount Stuart Castle
- Judy Collins, Forever Changed The Face Of Open Water
- This Sister Can Swim!
- Being Followed In Hawaii's Kalohi Channel
- What Can A Renaissance Man Do In The Endurance World?
- Positively Powerful Pádraig
- Pádraig Mallon, Ice Ironman
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Extremely Hardened Athletes: Ice Ironmen, Ice Ironwomen
- From Neoprene To Bioprene In The Extreme
- Elina Mäkinen Becomes Newest Ice Ironwoman