Jim Dreyer (born 16 August 1963 in Grand Rapids, Michigan) is known by his nickname The Shark and the Human Tugboat, is an American adventure swimmer who swam 22 miles over 51 hours with a wetsuit from Harsens Island pulling a ton of bricks on two dinghies to the beach at Detroit’s Island park. The charity swim was performed on behalf of Habitat for Humanity. He is also the race director for the Mighty Mac Swim across the Straits of Mackinac and organized the Mighty Mac 50th Anniversary Swim across the Straits of Mackinac.
Mighty Mac Swim
Dreyer organized the Mighty Mac Swim for Labor Day 2015. It was one of the highest grossing charity swims in the world.
Mighty Mac 50th Anniversary Swim
On 3 September 2007, Dreyer, Kellie Nightlinger and 50 swimmers of Team Dire Straits crossed the Straits of Mackinac in a charity swim to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Mackinac Bridge, swimming between Michigan’s upper and lower peninsulas. The Mighty Mac 50th Anniversary Swim was part of the 50th Annual Mackinac Bridge Walk. Governor Jennifer Granholm initiated the annual bridge run and came up with the idea of having 50 swimmers cross the Straits for the 50th Anniversary of the bridge together with Dreyer and Kellie Nightlinger.
Dreyer has swum in a wetsuit or as a stage swim 65 miles (105 km) across Lake Michigan in 1998, 52 miles (84 km) across Lake Huron in 1999, 30 miles (48 km) across Lake Erie in 2000, 56 miles (90 km) across Lake Ontario in 2000, 422 miles (679 km) across Lake Michigan in 2003, and 59 miles (95 km) across Lake Superior in 2005.
- Epic Lake Swim From Wisconsin To Michigan
- Mighty Mac Swimmers Give Back To The Mackinac Straits Community
- Chris Thompson, Kaelan Oldani to Defend Mighty Mac Swim Titles
- US$20,000 Grand Prize At The Mighty Mac Swim
- Jim Dreyer To Attempt The Impossible
- Mighty Mac Swim Awards US$40,000 on Labor Day
- Amanda Stevens, Chris Thompson Win $20,000 In Straits
- The Briliance And Creativity Of Sarah Thomas
- World's Strongest Endurance Swimmer, Walter Poenisch
- Mass To Make Mackinac Crossing
- Iron Swims, Pulling Over The Years By Nejib Belhedi
- 2017 Mighty Mac Swim Set For Registration
- Mackinac Bridge Walk Crowd Surpasses Expectations
- 50th Annual Mackinac Bridge Walk Will Be Monday
- 50th Annual Mackinac Bridge Walk
- Man Swims With Bricks
- The Success Of Team Dire Straits
- Extreme Swimmer Jim Dreyer
- What Are Swimmers Known As?
- 20-Hour Swim Pulling A Car On A Barge Is Delayed
- Jim Dreyer And The Mighty Mac Swim
- Michigan's Mighty Mac Across The Mackinac
- Highest Grossing Open Water Charity Swims In The World
- Mighty Mac Swim Serves As Michigan Open Water Champs
- US$20,000 Grand Prize At Mighty Mac Swim
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim round-up
- Marathon Swimming
- Olympic 10K Marathon Swim
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung
- World Marathon Swimming Association