Joe Smith (born 1933) of Deal, Kent is a British marathon swimmer, originally from Rochdale, who was inducted as an Honor Swimmer in 2005 into the International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame.
English Channel Career
- After two failed English Channel attempts in 1961 and 1962, Smith became the oldest Briton to conquer the English Channel in 1999 at the age of 65. 37 years after his first attempt, he joined the Half Century Club with his successful crossing from Shakespeare Cliffs in England to Sangatte, west of Calais in France in 14 hours 9 minutes, escorted by Duncan Taylor.
- The former lifeguard and swimming pool manager won most of the British Long Distance Swimming Association races during the late 1950’s and early 1960 including races in Windermere.
- He served as a director of the Channel Swimming Association.
- He was British Long Distance Swimming Association’s Veteran Swimmer of the Year and was awarded an ARP British Gold Hero's Medal.
- He swims daily and carried the Olympic Torch through Deal, Kent in the run-up to the 2012 London Olympic Games.
Oldest Individuals to Cross the English Channel
1. Otto Thaning (South Africa), 73 years, E/F, 12 hours 52 minutes (2014)
2. Cyril Baldock (Australia), 70 years 9 months, E/F, 12 hours 45 minutes (2014)
3. Roger Allsopp (England), 70 years 4 months, E/F, in 17 hours 51 minutes (2011)
4. George Brunstad (USA), 70 years 3 days, E/F, in 15 hours 59 minutes (2004)
5. Chris Shapland (Australia), 69 years, E/F, in 16 hours 28 minutes (2016)
6. Donald Riddington (Australia), 68, E/F, in 19 hours 45 minutes (2013)
7. Clifford Batt (Australia), 67, F/E, in 18 hours 37 minutes (1987)
8. Ashby Harper (USA), 65, E/F, in 13 hours 52 minutes (1982)
9. Joe Smith (England), 65, E/F, in 14 hours 9 minutes (1999)
10. Roger Allsopp (England), 65, E/F, in 15 hours 30 minutes (2006)
11. Sue Oldham (Australia), 65, E/F, in 17 hours 11 minutes (2010)
- Doc Counsilman Helped Usher In An Increasingly Graying Trend In Channel Swimming
- How Far Is The English Channel?
- International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Standing Up To The Tests Of Time
- How Old Can They Go? Very Old
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- I Got Stung
- World Marathon Swimming Association
- Chris Shapland En Route To Proving Swimming Is Lifelong