Lance Oram is a Chief Powerboat Instructor at Dover Sea School and renowned English Channel pilot. He is the son of International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame inductee and Honour Pilot Michael Oram.
RYA/DoT Yachtmaster with commercial endorsement
RYA instructor for motor cruisers
RYA instructor for powerboats (advanced)
RYA trainer for powerboat instructors
RYA instructor for personal watercraft
RYA theory courses & GMDSS (VHF) instructor
Escort pilot for Channel swimming & other Channel crossings
Member of Ramsgate lifeboat crew
Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation committee member
Diesel engineer & Electronics installation engineer
Oram has been playing with boats in his own right since the age of 7 and is a motorcruiser, advanced powerboat and a personal watercraft instructor/trainer/examiner. He is an active member of Ramsgate lifeboat crew and has been awarded the RNLI vellum for bravery. He is a keen sailor, racing weekends with Royal Temple Yacht Club. He is a delivery skipper and has delivered craft all over Europe.
Experience in the English Channel
Oram has been escorting English Channel swimmers and other types of crossings for 16 years with over 350 escorts to his name, plus many more as crew. He is a registered English Channel escort pilot with the Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation who is well-known and in popular demand. He has a 77% success rate with his escorted crossing to date.
- Ger Kennedy + Team versus Cath Pendleton + Team in a January English Channel Duel
- Freda Streeter, The Channel General, Recalls Her Career On WOWSA Live
- Lance Oram of the Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation
- Channel Swimming & Piloting Federation new website
- Lance Oram bio
- Escort Pilots On The High Seas
- Dutch Ladies First Break 2-Way English Channel Record
- D-Day Anniversary Relay Commemorates The Courageous
- The Passing of Douglas Waymark