Malta is an archipelago in the central Mediterranean Sea between Sicily and the North African coast. It's a nation known for historic sites related to a succession of rulers including the Romans, Moors, Knights of Saint John, French and British. It has numerous fortresses, megalithic temples and the Ħal Saflieni Hypogeum, a subterranean complex of halls and burial chambers dating to circa 4000 B.C.
Open Water Swimming
- Nicky Farrugia completed the first swim from Sicily, Italy to the island of Gozo in Malta in 1985 in 30 hours 17 minutes.
- Neil Agius completed a 100 km Sicily to Malta swim in 28 hours 7 minutes 27 seconds on 26 June 2020.
- The Malta-Gozo-Malta Open Water Swimming Competition is located in Malta, one of the World's Top 100 Island Swims. The course is a channel swim between the main island Malta and its sister island Gozo that passes by the small picturesque island of Comino on the east. There are two distances: a one-way crossing of 5.5 km and a two-way marathon swim crossing of 11 km, usually the third Saturday of August. The Malta-Gozo-Malta Open Water Swimming Competition is a competitive swim that may serve to generate funds for the swimmer's favored charity. All swimmers are escorted by safety boats. Swimming in groups up to 4 is allowed, although group swimming is not part of the competition. The channel swim is part of the local open water swimming championship series organized by the Birkirkara St Joseph Sports Club which manages another 6 coastal swims, 5 of which are 2 km and one 4 km. These swims are held between June and August and serve as qualifiers for the local swimmers to do the channel swim. Foreigner swimmers must produce a recent medical certificate and a letter from their coach, club and national federation for them to participate.
- The Malta to Sicily International Relay was a 93 km relay held in 1993 from Malta to Sicily, Italy in the Mediterranean Sea.
- On 30 June 2012, Neil Agius completed a 126.3 km swim from Linosa, Italy to Xlendi Bay, Gozo on Malta in over 52 hours at the age of 35.
SwimTrek Swimcation in Malta
Malta Escape swimcation presented by SwimTrek.
- Rachel Doyle Honored By The Ireland Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame
- Neil Agius, Malta’s Marathon Man
- Record-holder applauds Neil Agius for epic swim
- 2020 WOWSA Awards – World Open Water Swimming Performance Of The Year Nominees
- Neil Agius: The Long Swim Home
- Australian Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Honors Suzy Toner
- Australian Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Honors Joseph Mitchell
- Mel Cunningham Talks About Her Long Career On WOWSA Live
- Swimming South Of Sicily ... Neil Agius Goes 100 km
- Sue Guesdon Doubly Honored By Two Halls Of Fame
- World's Top 100 Open Water Swims
- From Malta To Gozo, Once or Twice
- Open Water Swimming
- World Open Water Swimming Association