noun - The Mediterranean Sea is a sea connected to the Atlantic Ocean surrounded by the Mediterranean region and almost completely enclosed by land: on the north by Southern Europe and Anatolia, on the south by North Africa, and on the east by the Levant. The sea is sometimes considered a part of the Atlantic Ocean, although it is usually identified as a completely separate body of water.
The name Mediterranean is derived from the Latin mediterraneus, meaning "inland" or "in the middle of the land" (from medius, "middle" and terra, "land"). It covers an approximate area of 2.5 million km² (965,000 sq mi), but its connection to the Atlantic (the Strait of Gibraltar) is only 14 km (8.7 mi) wide. The Strait of Gibraltar is a narrow strait that connects the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea and separates Gibraltar and Spain in Europe from Morocco in Africa. In oceanography, it is sometimes called the Eurafrican Mediterranean Sea or the European Mediterranean Sea to distinguish it from mediterranean seas elsewhere.
The Mediterranean Sea has an average depth of 1,500 m (4,900 ft) and the deepest recorded point is 5,267 m (17,280 ft) in the Calypso Deep in the Ionian Sea.
It was an important route for merchants and travellers of ancient times that allowed for trade and cultural exchange between emergent peoples of the region. The history of the Mediterranean region is crucial to understanding the origins and development of many modern societies.
The countries surrounding the Mediterranean Sea are Spain, France, Monaco, Italy, Malta, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro, Albania, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Egypt, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco.
The phrase "Seven seas" can refer either to a particular set of seven seas or be used as an expression for all the world's oceans in general.
One modern geographical classification scheme counts seven oceans in the world: The North Pacific Ocean, the South Pacific Ocean, the North Atlantic Ocean, the South Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Southern Ocean, and the Arctic Ocean.
The world's seas include the Mediterranean Sea (1), Red Sea (2), Black Sea (3), Caribbean Sea (4), Gulf of Mexico (5), Hudson Bay (6), Bering Sea (7), Tasman Sea (8), Coral Sea (9), Bay of Bengal (10), Arabian Sea (11), and North Sea (12).
Sea Defenders' Swim for a Clean Mediterranean
Udi Erell, Oded Rahav, Doron Amosi, Luc Chetboun, Ben Enosh, Ori Sela, Avishag Turek, Adina Paur, Yair Palti and Erez Amir completed the Sea Defenders' Swim for a Clean Mediterranean: 6 km in the Red Sea, 6 km in the Dead Sea, 6 km in the Sea of Galilee and 6 km in the Mediterranean Sea over a 24-hour period in May 2018.
- Corsica-Sardinia, a Cross-Border Island-to-Island Swim between France and Italy
- The Open Water Traverse from Cyprus to Lebanon
- Nejib Belhedi Pushing To The Extreme, Across The Mediterranean Sea From Italy To Tunisia
- Ocean? Oceans? Which Is Correct?
- Predictable Unpredictability And Expecting The Unexpected
- Swimmers For the Third Mediterranean Peace Route
- Neil Agius: The Long Swim Home
- Boris Nowalski Takes To The Sea In Order To Help Save It
- Nejib Belhedi Swims 40 km From Great Kuriat To Sousse
- Nejib Belhedi, Swimming Out Of The Lockdown From Kuriat To Sousse
- Ori Sela And Guy Cohen Talk About Swimming In Israel On WOWSA Live
- Meeting People Along The Shore
- A Rich Concept: The Ancient Seven Seas
- Lewis Pugh
- MPA: Marvelously Productive Activity, 7 Swims In 7 Seas
- Seven Swims In The Seven Seas - 1 Reason, 1 Down
- Seven Swims In The Seven Seas - 1 Reason, 2 Down
- Seven Swims In The Seven Seas - 1 Reason, 6 Down
- Seven Swims In The Seven Seas For 1 Reason
- The Ancient Seven Seas And 1 Modern Mariner
- The Heavy Demands On Land Along The Seven Seas
- Going Solo Needs Teamwork
- The Sights And Sounds And Swims Of The Seven Seas
- Marine Life Nowhere To Be Seen
- Mohammed Zeytoun Brilliant Life, Tragic Passing
- Swimming the Dead Sea - Swapping Ice for Salt
- In How Many Seas Have You Swum?
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Open Water Swimming
- Avishag Turek Is Getting Warmed Up
- Add Croatia to Your Open Water Bucket List
- Swim From Red To Dead, From Galilee To Mediterranean
- Rescuing The Reefs, Swimming In The Seas
- Strait of Bonifacio Swim
- Holschers Swim In Memory Of Maureen Across Bonifacio
- Swimming To Sardinia