Mike Cochrane is an open water swimmer from Auckland, New Zealand.
Open Water Swimming Career
- He serves as the Safety and Swim Director of the Samoa Swim Series.
- He was honored at the 2018 New Zealand Ultra-Marathon Swim Awards.
- He swam across Lake Taupo s-n in 14 hours 29 minutes on 22 February 2016
- He crossed the Apolima Strait in Samoa in 2015 at the age of 33 in 8 hours 1 minute, a 22.3 km channel between Samoa's main islands of Upolu and Savai]i.
- He completed the 20 km Chopper Sea Challenge in Auckland, New Zealand on 26 March 2016 from Waiheke Island to Auckland in 5 hours 31 minutes.
- He is one of the top swimmers in the 2017-2018 Global Swim Series.
- On 7 October 2018, he completed the first 19.5 km Tahiti to Mo'orea land-to-land channel swim in a tandem swim with Christina Harris in 6 hours 44 minutes organized by Seti Afoa with observer Roger Matheson.
- He won the 7 km Torpedo Swim in 2020.
History of Crossing Apolima Strait
- Iosia Leau (Samoa) 1988 at the age of 26 in 5 hours
- Mike Cochrane (New Zealand) 2015 at the age of 33 in 8 hours 1 minute
- Rosie Sharman (New Zealand) 2015 at the age of 32 in 8 hours 30 minutes
- Phillip Ryan (New Zealand) 2016 at the age of 25 in 5 hours 3 minutes
- Abby Armstrong (New Zealand) 2016 at the age of 28 in 6 hours 30 minutes
- Bronwen Burmester (New Zealand) 2016 at the age of 60 in 8 hours 5 minutes
- Kate Sinclair (Australia) 2016 at the age of 37 in 8 hours 15 minutes
- Todd Pritchard (New Zealand) 2016 at the age of 49 in 8 hours 25 minutes
Chopper Sea Challenge
The Chopper Sea Challenge is a 20 km (12.4-mile) marathon swim from Matiatia Bay on Waiheke Island to Mechanics Bay in downtown Auckland, New Zealand. It was a charity swim from Waiheke to Auckland that raises money for the Auckland Westpac Rescue Helicopter and was completed by Michael Buck (solo), Jillian Walker (solo), Mike Cochrane (solo), Olaf Adam (solo), Mark Lenaarts (solo), Axel Wohlfarth (solo), Brent Foster (solo), and duo team of Stuart Whitney and Rosie Sharman, and trio team of Natalie Dobson, Jeroen Went, and Dean Madsen.
- Seti Afoa On Samoa Swimming And The Orewa Ocean Series
- Christina Harris Dominates Pacific Open Water Challenge
- Swimming In Samoa With A Selfless Star
- Michael Kenny Forges Into Global Swim Series Lead
- Tahiti To Mo'orea Channel Swims
- Reece Southall, Three-peats At The Samoa Swim Series
- Chopper Sea Challenge Raises $33K+
- Chopper Swim Challenge
- Chopper Sea Challenge
- Chopper Swim Challenge Facebook page
- Swimming Apolima Strait In Samoa
- Samoa Swim Series, Simply Splendid
- Upolu-Savai'i Swim
- Samoa Swim Series Facebook page
- New Zealand Ultra Marathon Swim Awards
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- 2018 NZ Ultra Swim Awards
- NZ Ultra Swim Awards
- 2018 New Zealand Ultra-Marathon Swim Awards Night
- Open Water Swimming
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Lake Taupo Crossings
- 40.2 Challenge Across Lake Taupo
- I Got Stung
- World Marathon Swimming Association