Asociación Mexicana de Aguas Abiertas
Asociación Mexicana de Aguas Abiertas A.C. (or AMEXAA or the Mexican Open Water Association or the Open Water Swimming Mexican Association) is the governing body of sea swims, ocean swims, solo crossings, tandem crossings and relays across the 32 km Mexican English Channel between Cozumel and the Maya Riviera in the Gulf of Mexico along the Yucatán Peninsula in Mexico.
- Nora Toledano who was the first Latin American woman to complete a double crossing of the English Channel and an International Marathon Swimming Hall of Fame Honor Swimmer
- Arleen González, the first Latin American woman to swim across the Strait of Magellan in the Chilean Patagonia
- Fernando Morthera, open water swimmer with international crossings
The Riviera Maya is a stretch of Caribbean coastline on Mexico’s northeastern Yucatán Peninsula. It's known for its numerous all-inclusive resorts, such as those in the town of Playa del Carmen, and its long beaches. To the south, Tulum is home to yoga retreats and the preserved ruins of an ancient Mayan port city, perched on an outcrop above a white-sand beach.
The Yucatán Peninsula separates the Gulf of Mexico from the Caribbean Sea, encompassing 3 Mexican states, plus portions of Belize and Guatemala. On the Caribbean Sea, Mexico's Riviera Maya resort strip is bookended by 2 popular destinations: Cancún, with its high-rise hotels and nightlife, and, down the coast, quieter Tulum, a rare seaside example of the Mayan ruins found throughout the peninsula's interior. separates the Gulf of Mexico from the Caribbean Sea, encompassing 3 Mexican states, plus portions of Belize and Guatemala. On the Caribbean, Mexico's Riviera Maya resort strip is bookended by 2 popular destinations: Cancún, with its high-rise hotels and nightlife, and, down the coast, quieter Tulum, a rare seaside example of the Mayan ruins found throughout the peninsula's interior.
Isla Cozumel (English: Island of the Swallows) is a gorgeous island in the Caribbean Sea off the eastern coast of Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula, opposite Playa del Carmen, and close to the Yucatán Channel. Cozumel is one of the ten municipalities (municipios) of the Mexican state of Quintana Roo.
2021 World Open Water Swimming Event of the Year Nomination
The association was nominated for the 2021 World Open Water Swimming Event of the Year Award. The winners and nominees included:
Winner: Maratona del Golfo Capri-Napoli (Italy)
First Runner-up: Irish Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming (Ireland)
Second Runner-up: Mediterranean Peace Route (Cyprus-Turkey)
4. Authentic Marathon Swim (Greece)
5. Asociación Mexicana de Aguas Abiertas (Mexico)
6. Tampa Bay Frogman Swim (USA)
7. Strait of Bonifacio (Italy-France)
8. Around-Coronado Swim (USA) tie
8. DC Marathon Swim (USA) tie
10. Olympic 10K Marathon Swim (Japan)
11. Rottnest Channel Swim (Australia)
12. Wörthersee Swim Austria (Austria)
13. Race For The Conch Eco-SeaSwim (Turks & Caicos)
14. Trans Tahoe Relay (USA)
15. Perhentian Island Marathon Swim (Malaysia)