(Redirected from Jenny Leigh Smith)
Jenny Leigh Smith is a 48-year-old American open water swimmer and coach from Chattanooga, Tennessee who has completed 3 Oceans Seven channel crossings and achieved the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming.
Education & Professional Career
Smith graduated Indiana University with a B.S. in Medical Imaging Technology and an A.S. in Radiography. She has been a board-certified Ultrasound Technologist for the last twenty years. She is a Registered Yoga and Meditation Teacher through Yoga Alliance and Emory-Tibet Partnership, teaching globally for 17 years.
Open Water Swimming Highlights
- On 26-29 April 2023, she will compete in the SCAR Swim Challenge, a 4-day stage swim in Arizona.
- On 29 July 2021, she completed a 34.2 km crossing of Lake Tahoe in 11 hours 49 minutes 18 seconds at the age of 47.
- She participated in the 2017 Cork Distance Week in Cork, Ireland.
- She completed a crossing of the English Channel on 14 August 2017 in 11 hours 13 minutes.
- She completed six Swim The Suck races:
- in 2011 (21st in 4 hours 29 minutes 19 seconds)
- in 2012 (40th in 4 hours 34 minutes 4 seconds)
- in 2013 (43rd in 4 hours 20 minutes 13 seconds)
- in 2014 (42nd in 4 hours 9 minutes 33 seconds)
- in 2016 (19th place in 4 hours 9 minutes 18 seconds)
- in 2017 (12th place in 3 hours 42 minutes 20 seconds)
- She completed a swim across Lake Titicaca in Peru.
- She is a five-time Ironwoman triathlete.
- She swam the width of Lake Tahoe.
- She completed the Border Buster in Lake Memphremagog between the USA and Canada.
- She won the Champions of Champions race in Ireland in 2017.
- She swam from Aquatic Park to Alcatraz Island to Aquatic Park in San Francisco Bay.
- She trained in New Zealand lakes during February 2018 including Wanaka, Pukaki, Tekapo, Taupo and Karapiro.
- She completed a 33.5 km crossing of the English Channel from England to France in 11 hours 13 minutes 16 seconds on 14 August 2017 at the age of 43.
- She completed a 32.3 km crossing of the Catalina Channel from Santa Catalina Island to the Palos Verdes Peninsula in Southern California on 24 October 2017 in 10 hours 45 minutes 37 seconds at the age of 43.
- On 30 June 2018, she completed the Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming with a 8 hour 52 minute 32 second 5th place finish in the 45.9 km 20 Bridges Manhattan Island Swim in New York on 30 June 2018 at the age of 44.
- On 20 August 2018, she completed a 35 km crossing of the North Channel from Northern Ireland to Scotland in 13 hours 6 minutes at the age of 44.
- On 21 April 2019, she finished 4th overall and was the 3rd woman in the 38.6 km Tampa Bay Marathon Swim in Florida in 12 hours 34 minutes at the age of 45 to complete the Grand Slam of Open Water Swimming.
- On 11 October 2020, he finished 21st in the 19.3 km Swim Around Charleston in South Carolina in 5:21:05 at the age of 46.
- On 7 August 2021, she completed a 19.6 km crossing from Anacapa Island to the California mainland in the California Channel Islands in 7 hours 40 minutes.
- She coaches triathletes and middle school students.
- She completed a crossing from Anacapa Island to the California mainland, completing the Triple Crown of California in 2021.
- She has completed 5 full distance triathlons, five half-triathlons, competed in the ’70.3 World Championships in St.George 2021’, and over 12 century bike rides.
- She completed the 19.6 Swim Around Charleston in South Carolina.
- She participated in the Honey Moon Island Swim.
- She completed the 20.1 Swim Around Key West in Florida.
- She completed the Lake Fontana Swim.
- She made an attempt of the 42 km Molokai Channel that was called 3 miles from the shore of Oahu due to visit from several tiger sharks.
- She was the 49th person in history to complete the Enduroman Arch to Arc Triathlon from London to Paris on 5 August 2022. She set the women's non-wetsuit record with a 24 hour 15 minute run, a T1 transition in Dover in 6:46, an English Channel crossing in 14 hours 3 minutes, a T2 transition in Calais, France in 9:18, and a bike of 18 hours 4 minutes for a total time of 72 hours 26 minutes at the age of 48.
- In 2022, she competed in the WOW Challenge 5k, Cerebus Swim Classic, 1.2 km and 2.5 km Half Moon Bay, 16.1 Round Trip Angel Island swim in San Francisco Bay in addition to the A2A at the age of 48.
- 10 Top Women on a Hot Streak in Open Water Swimming – December 2022
- Jenny Smith Becomes First American to Complete Enduroman Arch to Arc Triathlon
- 2020 Swim Around Charleston – Solo Results
- Alex Kostich Wins Swim Around Charleston
- Stately, Splendid, Stunning Swim Starts Around Charleston
- Fastest Times Of The Grand Slam Of Open Water Swimming
- Jenny Smith Does Crazy Hard, Completes Triple Crown
- Cork Distance Week Alumni Success
- World Open Water Swimming Association
- Daily News of Open Water Swimming
- Open Water Swimming
- Marathon Swimming
- Marathon Swimmers Federation bio
- Triple Crown of Open Water Swimming
- The Men & Woman Behind The Bridges
- New York Open Water
- Pat Gallant-Charette Never Looking Back
- Two Triumphant Tandem For Triple
- Kate Robarts Takes The Heat To Achieve Triple Crown
- One More Swim, One More Wave For Melissa Kegler
- Swimming Splendidly From Slovakia To Sydney
- Ned Wieland Has A Long Bright Future Ahead
- Nathalie Pohl Wins 20 Bridges, Achieves Triple Crown
- The Start Of Suffering And Success
- Marathon Swimmers Federation bio
- Jenny Smith Swims East To Complete The North
- Dr. Jamie Proffit Wins Coast To Coast